4 Ways to Keep Good Habits Alive this New Year
We all know how it is…
We kick the New Year off with the best intentions in the hope that we are able to follow through this time. Then life gets in the way and throws those good intentions right out of the window.
Whether it’s getting fit, being healthier or spending more time with family and friends, there are ways to get it right without the pressure. You just have to spice it up a bit.
Here’s how to keep those good habits alive this year:
1. Stay active without spending a cent
One of our nation’s greatest gifts to us is that our days are so much longer in summer, which means that there is more time to enjoy the sunshine.
Whether you’re a morning or evening person, there are ways that you can stay active without breaking the bank. Instead of getting sucked in to an expensive gym contract, look for hot-spots in your area that are great for outdoor exercise.
- Try regular morning walks with your fur babies or go solo. Big Bay on the West Coast offers an amazing path way for joggers as well as a breath-taking view of Table Mountain. With the sea as your constant companion, staying active is a piece of cake.
- If you’re a nature lover, a hike up Lion’s Head is a great way to stay active with friends and family. The summit is so worth the trek – enjoy a magnificent view of the city and ocean. A sunrise or late afternoon hike is a favourite for locals and tourists alike.
2. Surround yourself with the right people
We believe that surrounding ourselves with positivity helps us keep up the right habits. We can’t think of a better way to achieve that than by meeting regularly for refreshing sun downers.
Grab the girls or guys and enjoy drinks at some of Cape Town’s most popular sun downer venues:
- Cafe Caprice in Camps Bay is a hotspot for refreshing sun downers and a beautiful view. We just love this venue because it makes us feel like we’re on an exotic island.
- Moyo in Big Bay not only offers great sundowners, but a great view of Table Mountain, Robben Island and the bay. We love this location because it’s one of the few pet friendly spots in Cape Town. Enjoy local music talent, African face painting and a stunning kiddie’s play area.
3. Family time
Family is so important and we love that Cape Town offers so many great family friendly venues. Make it a habit this year to take time out to spend with your loved ones.
- Kirstenbosch Gardens is always a family favourite, known for its lush, open lawns and beautiful views. Bring your picnic, blankets and a ball for the kids to kick around. There are great forest pathways to explore, as well as the new tree top walkway which has become not only a local favourite but a tourist favourite as well.
- Big Bay is a stunning spot for picnics and beach outings on the West Coast. Whether you prefer to hang out on the beach or the lush lawns overlooking the bay, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
4. Spoil yourself for a change
No one can ever resist a good spoil. Whether a manicure and massage is your ideal way to unwind session, or perhaps a bit of retail therapy, spoiling yourself should always be on the top of your list now and again. Luckily for us, there are a lot of great spots to choose from:
- Mwanganani Spa is an incredible day spa that offers all sort of pampering packages. Treat yourself and a loved one for a birthday celebration, anniversary or ‘just because’.
- We just love Smooth Beauty Bars. Make an appointment at the Kloof Street or Eden on the Bay branch and enjoy some serious pamper time by their brilliant staff from the moment you walk through their doors.
Following through with New Year resolutions doesn’t have to be difficult. Start small with manageable goals that will help you get the ball rolling. Before you know it you will have great habits in place that will feel like second nature.
Wishing you a great, happy, good-habit-filled New Year!